Sunday, June 7, 2009

What do you throw out of your car window?

The employees in Cody adopted a 2 mile stretch of highway. Some of them get together twice a year to pick up the trash that accumulates. So on Saturday we joined them for the spring clean up. Armed with grabbers and a garbage bag we set off in a row of four across the ditch. Nothing too unusual was found. No bodies, human or otherwise. I did find a couple remnants of deer hide. Mike found a dead bird. We scared up a couple of snakes.
The garbage was your typical fare you would expect to find tossed out of a car window. Fast food bags and containers, cigarettes and butts, soda bottles, and beer bottles and cans, and more beer bottles and cans, and more beer bottles and cans.
I think what you throw out the car window says a lot about the kind of person you are. Mike figured it must be teenagers throwing out all the beer bottles and cans. He figured they don't care as much as adults. My thought is if you are the kind of person who illegally drinks while driving, you are more likely going to be the kind of person to throw it out of the window. It is funny. These people don't seem to be bothered by the thought of a possible DUI or even a hefty littering fine, but the possibility of getting an open intoxicants fine is more than they can handle. Thus causing them to feel it necessary to chuck it out the window.
By the time we were done the highway looked nice for 2 miles, but we were dirty and soaked up to our shins from the dew on the grass. We decided to make the best of our drive home and took the scenic route through Yellowstone. It took us 5 hours, but well worth it. I only got a couple pics which I posted below:


This is the big horn sheep I saw out of the corner of my eye and according to Mike I screamed this to him causing him to come to a screeching halt. Whatever, I was excited. I hadn't seen one yet.
As you can see it isn't spring at the Continental Divide yet. Don't know if you can spot the snowball Mike threw on the upper right corner of the sign.

This is just before the we got to the sign. It was actually raining a little, but could easily have turned to snow with the temp being so low.




No comments: