Wednesday, November 5, 2008

From the lily pad...

I see my last post has inspired some others to become followers of the blog. Kellie wins the prize for attaching a cute dog picture to hers. That will win me over every time.

My mission today was to mulch the leaves in the backyard with the lawn mower. Those of you who know anything about WY know it can be a bit windy here. However, our little town is usually the exception. Not today!
The gale force winds over the last two days dislodged every last leaf and congregated most of them in a corner of the fence. This corner is guarded by an unruly crab apple tree. I start systematically making my way to the corner. So far I am safe from the reach of the crab apple tree and in the thick of the leaves. The powder created from the grinding up of the leaves immediately finds its way into my eyes, nose and lungs. Strike one.
I am closing in on the crab apple tree. The dust in my eyes has obscured my vision and the tree gets its first assault on me. A twig comes out of no where and almost takes out my eye. I dodge that twig only to have another jab into my hair and pull it. By the time I get my barrings from the first assault I am accosted by a clump of frozen crab apples that narrowly miss my forehead as I duck. Strike two.
Working my way away from the crab apple tree the air starts to clear and the leaves become few and far between. I can't help but notice that the leaves in that corner are still taunting me. I throw caution to the wind and head back to the corner for another go around.
Once I have accomplished what I have set out to do I turn off the lawn mower. It is only now that I realize I have made crab apple jam. Yes, the bottoms of my shoes, the tires of the lawnmower all covered in mushy crab apple remnants. Strike three.
Now my question to you is: Who in their right mind plants a crab apple tree in their yard?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, sounds like the Wild West is getting the best of you.

But wait until spring. That tree will full of beautiful blossoms! It is the trees way of saying sorry for almost taking your head off last fall. Look at me can't you tell I am really sorry. I made flowers for you!

Love ya H

Kel said...

Wizard of Oz gone worse! I'm cracking up!