I guess Mike gave up on the blog. He is all wrapped up in his facebook account. I was persuaded to make a facebook account also. So far it is overwhelming. To those who read the blog and are on facebook the following is only MY opinion.
The whole "friends" thing is a farse. I had people from my class that not only didn't talk to me in high school, but went out of their way to be nasty (for lack of a better word) who now want to be "friends". I don't know them now (they could be wonderful people) and they certainly don't know me now (if they did, they probably still wouldn't want to be friends with me).
It seems like self-admiration to me. It isn't about whether or not you like the person you request to be "friends" with. It is more so we can pat ourselves on the back and say "Gee, look how many people want to be my 'friend'". It is more acceptance than we ever had in high school or actually have in real life. I know it is human nature to want to be accepted. I get that. I feel it too.
Mike and I have met many people over the years in many states. Only a handful of them would I call friends. You know who you are. We still keep in touch whether it be through blogs, texts, emails or phone calls. You fit the definition of a friend which is: one attached to another by affection or esteem.
So, are all those facebook "friends" really friends?
2 comments:
I understand how you feel. I do also have my "true friends" but people do grow and change, i have seen it within alot of people I know. I will not go out of my way to "become friends" with many of the people you speak about but checking in to see what everyone has done and where they are at is a neat thing to me. I Like seeing pictures of all their kids, it is amazing how many look just like they did when they were kids, just brings back alot of memories.. I wish their were more of the people we hung out with especially in 6, 7 and 8th grade on face book, maybe we will see them in the future.... I really do miss you and Mike. Love nikki
You seem a little bitter with the whole technology thing...Why don't you pick up the rotary phone and dial a friend...GEESH!
Post a Comment